Friday, November 27, 2015

U.S. Route 62 - A Family History Route


The 1,500 miles from Kingfisher, Oklahoma to Niagara Falls, New York finds stop overs in my kids' family history story in all four branches of their family tree.  All of those miles are along U.S. Route 62.

Amos Platt is buried at Kingfisher.  My third great grandfather was a Methodist minister who was in Oklahoma in its pre-statehood years.

My parents honeymooned at Niagara Falls in 1965.  My kids would visit with me in 2015.

In between, there were Blandfords in Bardstown, Mastins in Mountain Home, McConnells in Maysville, and Sanders in Samantha.
US62 Map From Wikipedia
This piece kicks off a six-part series.  In the next part, I'll look at the 1,000 miles from Oklahoma to Kentucky.  Parts 3 and 4 explore Southern Ohio and Northern Ohio.  The last 200 miles traverse Northwestern Pennsylvania and Western New York.

The journey along U.S. Route 62, like a journey through our family tree, proves US62 is a family history route.


No comments:

Post a Comment