Saturday, March 7, 2015

Ancestry Saturday: I've Never Been to Bloomington, But. . .



. . .I feel like Bloomington's been to me.

Someone mentioned Bloomington, Illinois and McLean County, Illinois in regular conversation this past week.

I didn't chime in, but I thought to myself:  I've never been to Bloomington, but I have ancestors galore from there.

I came back and looked it up.  It's true.

My great grandfather Elmer Armstrong was born in McLean County in 1883.  His father, John McClure Armstrong was born there too, in 1861, and his mother, Isabelle Baylor Armstrong, was born there in 1862.

Best I can tell, all 12 of John and Isabelle's children were born in McLean County.

Many have died there, buried in Bloomington's Blooming Grove Cemetery.

I'll chime in next time.

2 comments:

  1. And you have a first cousin once removed that lives there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your grandmother lived there during World War I. Long history in Bloomington.

    ReplyDelete